Morning All! I cannot believe all six weeks of the One Room Challenge have flown by! (You can check out all the amazing designers and their finished rooms here) I originally thought I would have time to tackle both of my daughters’ rooms (HA!), but quickly realized after plaster repair set me back that I needed to focus on one room at a time. It was down to the wire, painting the bookshelf side table late into the night…the night before the photoshoot. Full disclosure, I was off by a week and thought last week was the reveal. HOWEVER, when I realized my mistake I added more projects…and more late nights. This project was totally DIY so I am happy to now rest, enjoy the room, and celebrate Mother’s Day with my family.
Photo Sources: Bins– Target| Printable– The 36th Avenue| Navy Polka Dot Vase- Michaels (in store)| Flamingo– Target| Curtains– Overstock| Room paint colors (all Benjamin Moore): Walls-Stonington Gray; Ceiling- Caribbean Breeze; Trim- Decorator’s White; Closet Door Abstract Color- Razzle Dazzle; Bedside Bookshelf (see below)- Hale Navy
Photo Sources: Bed (similar)- Pottery Barn Kids| Duvet (similar)- Pottery Barn Kids| Custom Pillows- Sara Langley Designs (my own!)- see shop link above| Blanket– Annie Selke (now only $18 in the outlet!)| Artwork- my own creations
Photo Sources: Flamingo jewelry holder- TJ Maxx|Trophy holder– Michael’s (in store only)| Silver jewelry box- Gift| Shoes– Target| Laundry bin– Pottery Barn Kids
I had a great time pulling this together and am counting down to the next Challenge. Already picked my room…and warned hubby. Now I am off to prepare to host Mother’s Day brunch.. so stay tuned for pics! Thanks for following this adventure.
P.S. Do I really believe the room will stay this way!? Nah, but I have pictures for posterity and accomplished my client’s goal of having more space to play. Now if I can only keep the Barbie Dream house in the playroom!
Morning All! It’s Thurrrrrrrrrsday! Which also means a One Room Challenge update! You can see last week here and check out all the amazing participants’ progress here. I cannot believe five weeks have gone by! Well, here is what I have tackled so far, completely DIY (with a shoutout to hubby for his help installing the trim and laying out the design on the closet door #thatfastidiousnessreallycomesinhandy):
Prep, paint, prep, paint, prep, paint….(you get the idea) for ceiling and walls
Tore out the carpet
Added base molding
Painted abstract closet door design
Sourced new curtains, pillows, rug, lampshades and linens
Created fun desk area and added new chair
Changed up furniture layout to create better flow make my client happy
Tackled closet for better storage and to remove dresser
And, here is my list to complete this week before the final reveal next Thursday. It is all about the details at this point:
Choose art and photos and get them framed and hung
Try my hand at creating a unique abstract as a gift for my daughter.
IF the weather cooperates (they are showing a snowflake for Monday…really!) then I will paint this cute shelf my husband’s grandfather made and incorporate it into the room as a nightstand. It is pretty beat-up having moved with us from city to city, but with major sanding and a few coats of Hale Navy it will shine!
Cannot wait to show you the reveal- down to the wire on this one!
Morning All! I am so inspired and impressed by both the featured designers and fellow guest participants alike in the One Room Challenge. You can see all their hard work here and here. I have been working feverishly this week to catch up (see week one and two), and with the kids off from school I wanted to get all the painting done while they could have sleepovers, and not worry about them being tired for school!
Right after we celebrated a fantastic Easter weekend, and our family from out of town left, I decided there was no time like the present (knowing I was a week behind) and started ripping out the carpet. We found amazing hardwoods underneath that are in great condition and will need very little repair. But as anyone who has lived in an older home knows sometimes a house giveth and then taketh away…sigh.
The plaster ceiling was a huge project that I had not planned for in my timeline. Thanks to my dear dad who has been restoring an 1800s beauty for over 40 years, I got a lesson in plaster repair and it wasn’t pretty. I had to carve a trough with a an Exacto-knife in order for the spackle to have something to “grab on to”. I am neither exacto nor patient when it comes to working on a project for two days with your arms over your head. And it required two coats of spackle, so needless to say I took a big hit on the timeline. My result is not perfect but after “troughing”, spackling, sanding, spackling again, sanding again, priming and then painting…I am happy with it.
This weekend hubs and I are adding the baseboard trim that is missing since the carpet is now out, and I need to paint all the window casings, doors etc. Also on the docket is to find a closet storage solution so we can take the dresser out of the room….I was informed by my client that she needs more space to play. I also want to do a fun geometric print on the closet door- something like this:
And, while I am thrilled my daughter picked a soothing gray color for the walls, I have to say I am really missing the Navy, especially with the gorgeous ceiling color. So, I plan to bring it back in through curtains, pillow accents and some DIY projects. My sister-in-law says that if the sun is out get the spray out (we really need shirts made) so I tackled this one before the rain set in.
This week I ordered most of the items on the source list and updated my timeline to reflect a more realistic schedule (picture hubs on the floor because he is laughing so hard) and off we go into week 4!